Job Title: Substitute Teacher
Reports To: Vice Principal for Academics
De La Salle North Catholic High School provides a faith-based, college-preparatory high school education to underserved students from the Portland area. We are the most diverse private high school in Oregon, and over 95% of our graduates are accepted into college. Our goal is to develop tomorrow’s community leaders by making high-quality education accessible to motivated young people in a learning environment that values cultural, spiritual, and ethnic diversity. Our educational approach provides each student with the opportunity to succeed through small classes, high expectations, and active participation in our Corporate Work Study Program affiliated with the nationally-recognized Cristo Rey Network.
- Teach classes from prepared lesson plans.
- Oversee learning and safety of students.
- Communicate as necessary with Vice Principal for Academics and other staff.
- If absence is pre-arranged, a call or email from the Vice Principal for Academics can be expected in regards to availability. Lesson plans may be forwarded ahead of time.
- For absences that have not been pre-arranged, a phone call or text from the Vice Principal for Academics will be received between 6:30am and 7:00 am.
- Report to front desk on arrival. Lesson plans, keys, subfolder, and any other necessary materials or information will be ready for pick-up. Speak to Vice Principal for Academics if additional information or assistance is needed.
- Ensure that Agenda and Learning Goal are written on board prior to start of class.
- Introduce yourself to class, take attendance using roster, and check dress code. Send attendance roster to front desk within first ten minutes of class, and send any students with dress code infractions to the Vice Principal for Student Life office.
- Share learning goal.
- Follow lesson plans as faithfully as possible; in instances of a tech problem or missing elements, use the alternate lesson plan included in sub binder.
- Leave the teacher a detailed note about the day’s outcomes and any problems.
- Review emergency information, i.e., know where exits are, understand emergency procedures.
- Sign in and out upon arrival, departure for lunch, return from lunch, at the end of the day, etc.
Preferred Education Experience
- Hold Oregon Teaching Certificate in your instructional field.
- Hold Bachelor’s Degree (Masters preferred) in your instructional or related field.
- Must be able to frequently remain in a stationary position.
- Must be able to constantly move about office/classroom to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Must be able to frequently operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as calculator, copy machine, computer printer, etc.
- Must be able to constantly communicate with students/parents/other staff to convey information related to assignments and the day’s agenda.
Salary: $30.00 per hour.
To Apply: Please use this link to apply. Upload cover letter and resume. Open acceptance of applications until substitute teacher pool is filled. Successful completion of background check and proof of full COVID vaccination (or a religious or medical exception) is a condition of employment.