Theology Teacher - Job Description
Thank you for considering employment at De La Salle North Catholic. We seek applicants with a passion for educational ministry, a desire to work within a team, and a zeal for working with young students in an urban setting.
De La Salle North Catholic High School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law in the administration of any of its educational programs and activities or with respect to employment.
Job Title: Theology Teacher for 2024-2025
Reports To: Principal
Classification: Exempt/Full-time/10 months
De La Salle North Catholic High School provides a faith-based, college-preparatory high school education to underserved students from the Portland area. Our goal is to develop tomorrow’s community leaders by making high-quality education accessible to motivated young people in a learning environment that values cultural, spiritual, and ethnic diversity. Our educational approach provides each student with the opportunity to succeed through small classes, high expectations, and active participation in our Corporate Work Study Program (CWS) affiliated with the nationally-recognized Cristo Rey Network.
We are looking for someone with a passion for educational ministry, a commitment to culturally responsive pedagogy and curricula, and a zeal for working with low socio-economic, diverse teenagers.
The Theology teacher at De La Salle North Catholic High School must have a passion for Catholic education and ministry, a desire to embrace the Lasallian dual charism of Faith and Zeal, and a drive to build a strong Catholic Theology team ready to learn from and instruct our diverse student body.
Teach 5 sections of theology following the curriculum outlined in the “Policy of Lasallian Education Corporation on Religions Studies and Campus Ministry in the Elementary and Secondary Schools of the District of San Francisco New Orleans” and to work in collaboration with your Department and Level Teams to further develop or refine curriculum and ensure compliance and maintain rigorous student engagement and academic support.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Observe professional hours aligned to the specifics of the periods assigned, to ensure some time either before school or after to work with students
- Follow all school guidelines regarding professional work alongside our students, such as attendance, safety drills, grading, and classroom management
- Follow all school guidelines regarding field trip permissions, transportation, and vigilance
- Ensure safe environment for students
- Fulfill weekly lunch-time prefect duties as part of prescribed duties with the Grade Level Team
- Be present at Department, Level Team, and Staff meetings, as well as all masses, school day assemblies, staff retreats, and staff celebrations, unless approved by supervisor
- Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, as well as methods of instruction to address department standards
- Compose annual, unit, and lesson plans incorporating the Five Principles of Lasallian Education.
- Utilize effective research-based instruction and assessment and keep abreast of developments in your field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional development
- Learn about and integrate Google Classroom and 21st century skills as a regular feature of instruction
- Engage in peer-to-peer classroom observation and support to build curricular and instructional expertise within the whole team
- Commit to serving all students, including students with learning differences in the context of the regular education classroom using methods outlined in Learning Support Agreements or with support from counselors
- Build and maintain positive relationships with students and instructional team
- Communicate effectively and consistently with families/student support systems
- Help with prefecting duties and complete service requirements determined by building administration
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Theology from a Catholic university, Master’s preferred.
- Possess a working knowledge of the US Catholic Bishops’ Curriculum Framework for Catechetical Materials
- An ability to actively participate in and contribute to Department and Level Teams
- Experience working with students and staff from diverse backgrounds
- Strong communication skills, oral and written
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Willingness to embrace the school’s Lasallian charism, and develop a passion for the school’s unique vision, with a desire to fully engage in the life of the school and community.
- Shows persistence and seeks alternatives when obstacles arise; seeks alternative solutions; does things before being asked/required.
- Accepts direction and feedback from supervisors and follows through appropriately.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging; culturally competent in addressing complex issues.
- Discretion, ability to maintain confidentiality where appropriate.
ADA Compliant list of Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to frequently remain in a stationary position
- Must be able to constantly move about the office and classroom to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Must be able to frequently operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as calculator, copy machine, computer printer, etc.
- Must be able to occasionally position self to maintain computers and other office equipment, including under desks
- Must be able to constantly communicate with students/parents/other staff to convey student academic information
- Must be able to occasionally move or lift up to ten pounds of AV equipment or school supplies
- Must be able to occasionally work in outdoor weather conditions
Salary and Benefits: DOE. Generous benefits package includes: 2 weeks paid sick time, paid holidays, medical/dental/vision with a shared premium cost, employer-paid life insurance, long-term disability insurance, and Employee Assistance Program (EAP), employee-paid voluntary insurance plans, and a 403(b) retirement savings plan.
To Apply: Please use this link to apply. Upload cover letter and resume. Approximate start date is August 12, 2024. Open acceptance of applications until the position is filled. The successful completion of a background check is a condition of employment.
Find other Employment Opportunities at De La Salle North Catholic High School.